Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Good and Sweet Year

For the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, I wish everyone a good and sweet year of health, happiness and peace.

Friends in Israel, one of whom is a professional photographer, sent me this picture yesterday. It was part of their New Year's email of good wishes. It shows a Sea Daffodil, flowering in August despite temperatures in the 90s and months without rain. (Months without rain is standard for a Middle Eastern summer.) The flower is in the amaryllis family, and many people believe it may be the Rose of Sharon, since Sharon is on the coast of the Mediterranean. It is so beautiful that I wanted to share it on my blog.

May we all have joy, health, and unexpected beauty this year.

And to everyone who reads this, I send the traditional greeting for a good year:


Photograph Copyright to Elisheva Werner-Reiss, and used with her permission.

1 comment:

PJH said...

I love that: joy, health, and unexpected beauty. Reminds me of a John Updike quote about unexpected gifts being the ones worth giving... Thanks for sharing your thoughts here, Meredith.