Monday, November 21, 2011

The Debate at UVM: Arnie Gundersen and Myself



NEI Nuclear Notes has a recent post about Gundersen: In Attack on AP-1000, Anti-Nuke Gundersen Hits a New Low. I commented on that post with a note about debate in January between me and Gundersen, This was the Janus Forum debate at University of Vermont (UVM): Vermont Yankee, Shut It Down or Keep It Running? Because of the NEI blog post, some people have asked me if I have a link to that debate.

I posted an audio link to the debate on my blog back in January: Janus Forum Debate. However, I have never posted the video of that debate.

Why didn't I post the video? Well, it took a while for UVM to send me the video, and it took a while for me to ask Cavan Stone, physics grad student and Energy Education Project part-time intern, to mount the video on YouTube. Also, there are so many things to blog about, it's hard to keep up.

I am pleased that the Energy Education Project has a YouTube channel, thanks to Cavan Stone. Sign up as a subscriber!

Practical Matters

The video is almost two hours long, which is daunting. If you want to skip around, here's the debate structure:
  • Introductions
  • I speak for 20 minutes
  • Gundersen speaks for 20 minutes.
  • Gundersen answers my presentation, for 10 minutes.
  • I answer Gundersen's presentation, for 10 minutes.
We are now somewhere past the one-hour mark. The rest of the time is questions from the audience.

2 comments:

Tom Clegg said...

Meredith I have been working on getting you and your group a tour of Indian Point. A PWR. I would like it to be in March. This way we will be in an outage and you can come into our vapor containment maybe see fuel being loaded into our reactor. I will be in contact with you with more information.

Meredith Angwin said...

Tom.Thank you. Visiting IP would be great!

I visited Indian Point back-in-the-day, but only went to the office building and talked about the secondary side water chemistry. The tidal zone makes predictions of pH in the SG crevices--complex!

I would love to see inside the plant! I am at mjangwin at gmail.