Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving: Gratitude List

I am grateful that

1) I don't live in a tent in Siberia in the 1860s

I just finished Tent Life in Siberia, a tale of traveling through Siberia in the 1860s. The author writes like Mark Twain, with a similar sense of humor. I dare anyone to read this book without laughing out loud.

Despite the humor, this is a book about--traveling in Siberia in the 1860s. To instill gratitude for absolutely everything in your life, I can't think of a better plan than sitting down to read this book.

2) I have a washing machine, and before I owned one, I used a laundromat.

For this, I recommend Roslings' video, below. Why energy availability matters, especially to women.




3) Friendship

We just returned from a trip to California, where we used to live. This trip gave us another opportunity to realize how grateful we are for our long-term friends. K and K, this means you!

4 comments:

Tom Clegg said...

Meredith, You have mentioned one of my favorite authors. My favorite quotes of Mark Twain is "I am not Washington I am grander and greater than Washington. Washington could not tell a lie, I can I choose not too.

Meredith Angwin said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Tom! And Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

If you have a Kindle, you can download Tent Life in Siberia for free.

Anonymous said...

Meredith,

That TED Video is awesome! Thank you for sharing that. That's the sort of thing I was talking about when I commented on your other blog post a week or two ago about the comic strip about energy, and how we need to remind people that energy is so much more important than just toys. Again, great video that puts energy and industry very much into perspective, and lets us know that these are important, life-changing things enabled by energy use, which can allow us to live longer, healthier, more educated and satisfying lives.

Meredith Angwin said...

Jeff. Thank you. That video has a fabulous perspective on energy, and humor and personal stories and...well, it's just great, and I was happy to share it!